You need a tin of this in the dark recesses of your freezer. Trust me. It is the most divine icy treat you will ever taste. The flavour of grapefruit (bitter, tart, mouthy) is a match made in heaven for the flavour of star anise (sweet, soft, delicate). Together they deliver a clean yet punchy flavour that is so delicious, you just don’t want to stop. Granitas are so easy to make. I will often have this, this or this in rotation in my freezer. It satisfies that something sweet craving after dinner without being too rich, it replenishes and nourishes on a hot day scooped in a little shot glass with a sprinkling of sea salt and brings out funky town on Friday night when drizzled with a shot of tequila. You can tell when a recipe is good. It multi tasks effortlessly like a harried mum to a smart entrepreneur to a party girl. Make it! And don’t forget to tell me about it on Instagram (#cookrepublic) or in the comments below. x
BROWSE >> DESSERT RECIPES
BROWSE >> FRUIT RECIPES
One Year Ago – Grape Pickle With Rosemary And Star Anise
Two Years Ago – Zucchini Noodles With Thai Pesto
Three Years Ago – Bombay Sandwich
Four Years Ago – Not So Sweet Chocolate Cake
Five Years Ago – White Chocolate And Coconut Truffles
Seven Years Ago – Butter Bean And Spinach Salad
- 2 large grapefruit, flesh scooped out, skin and pith removed
- 150ml water
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 star anise pods
- juice of half a lime
- tequila to serve (optional)
- Heat water, caster sugar and anise pods on medium. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool completely. Discard three anise pods and reserve one.
- Combine sugar syrup, grapefruit, anise pod and lime juice in the jug of a blender. Process on high until mixture is well blended and anise pod is completely crushed.
- Place granita mix in a shallow tin pan. Cover with cling wrap and freeze for 4 hours. Remove from freezer, scrape frozen mixture with a fork. Cover and return to freezer for another 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, scrape granita mix with a fork and spoon into cocktail glasses. Serve. You may also serve with a dash of tequila over the granite for a grown up after dinner treat.