There is nothing more delicious than a super green, full of flavour flatbread, hot off the pan flatbread. These Green Garlic Spinach Flatbreads are a favourite vegan recipe in our kitchen and are on repeat in my weekly cooking schedule. I like nothing better than to slather the first flatbread with a generous amount of butter and devouring it hot, butter melting and dripping from the ends. It satisfies my flaky gluten loving soul and sets me up nicely pre-dinner.
Sparkling Water To Aerate Batters And Doughs
Sparkling water is a clever way to quickly aerate doughs and batters. Especially if you have sparkling water on hand with a SodaStream Sparkling Water Maker. It is one of the most used items in my kitchen and I absolutely love experimenting with it in food recipes and not just drinks.
These Green Garlic Spinach Flatbreads are not only gorgeous to look at but are utterly wholesome and packed with vital nutrients A stack of these on leftover night is a fun flatbread party as everyone can literally go to town, slathering and stuffing these with whatever suits their fancy. Here I show you my favourite stuffing for the flatbreads with some prepped things always lurking in my fridge. Fresh green salsa verde, pickled beetroot, cooked quinoa, cooked black beans, some coconut yoghurt and of course – the mighty Sriracha. I’d also add some smoked salmon or pan-fried tofu for added protein and a heartier wrap.
Here are some other vegetarian/vegan stuffing options for a delicious, nutritious meal. I have tried these spinach flatbreads with almost all of the options below and they are all amazing!
- Turmeric Mushroom Pickle
- Beetroot Quinoa Burger
- Crispy Chickpea Eggplant And Kale
- 5-Minute Keralan Cabbage Stir Fry
- Roasted Sweet Potato And Harissa Chickpeas
- 10-Minute Raw Broccoli Tabbouli
- Chilli Broccoli Egg Chop
- Supergreen Falafel With Turmeric Tahini Sauce
- Crispy Cauliflower Buffalo Wings With Sour Cashew Sauce
And if you have nothing, butter is the way to go. It really hits the good spot. Try it and let me know what you think, I am absolutely sure you are going to love it!
- 1 ½ cups (50 g) baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 g) coconut yoghurt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sparkling water
- 2 cups (280 g) spelt flour
- Extra spelt flour, for dusting
- Place spinach, garlic, salt, olive oil, coconut yoghurt and sparkling water in the jug of a blender. Process until smooth.
- Place spelt flour in a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the spinach mix in the well. Using a wooden spoon, mix into a rough dough.
- Dust a clean working surface with spelt flour. Place the dough on the flour and knead it until smooth. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion in a round shape. Flatten it with the palm of your hand and dust both sides with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 6-inch round shape. Repeat with the remaining dough portions.
- Heat a frying pan on medium. Place the rolled flatbread on the frying pan and fry each side for approximately 2-3 minutes until cooked and golden.
- Place cooked spinach flatbreads in a tea towel and fold the edges to cover the flatbreads and keep them warm.
- To serve, slather spinach flatbreads with coconut yoghurt and top with pickled beetroot, quinoa, black beans, salad leaves and hot sauce.
Note – This post is sponsored by Sodastream. The recipe and video were specially created for Sodastream’s Spirit machines. It is a brand/product that I love and have been using for almost a decade. I believe that using Sodastream is not only fun but helps reduce plastic bottle usage and waste. All opinions and musings are my own.