A few months ago I got involved in a fun avocado project where I had to create 30 Instagram posts of recipe inspirations highlighting the mighty avo, one for every day of the month. After the initial excitement of avocado toast and guacamole wore off, I had a terrible sinking feeling that I had run out of avo juice on the third day of the project. What does one do with avocado besides smear it on toast and mash it up in a delicious guac for taco night? So after I had a little meltdown, I started looking on Pinterest for inspiration. I noticed that the most common use of avocado besides the two recipes I just mentioned were sliced up beautifully in a salad. Does slicing and dicing an ingredient for a mish-mash salad really count as a true recipe? Maybe it does, but I wanted to challenge myself to use this utterly delicious (but very expensive!) fruit in really exciting ways. So I made everything from avocado pound cake to avocado ice cream and even mousse, brownies, face masks and a savoury smoothie. I even taught myself how to make an avocado rose from Youtube videos but not before I had massacred half a dozen or so avocados(which got happily eaten!)
But the most interesting recipe by far was an avocado cocktail. A boozy drink inspired by the guacamole and taking its cue from a Bloody Mary, this Avocado And Lime Margarita was delicious beyond my wildest dreams with a colour so vibrant and fresh, I could’ve cried. I am not particularly fond of heat (chilli) in my desserts and cocktails so obviously any reference to jalapeno or chipotle had to be removed. The avocado made the cocktail really creamy and the addition of lime and coriander made this a definitely savoury cocktail but full of crisp fresh flavours. A perfect addition to our Cocktail & Oyster Date Nights.
Do try this one, if you are an avocado fan. It will blow your mind. I’d love to hear your thoughts, feedback and/or rating below. And if you share your creations on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me #cookrepublic. Happy weekend folks! x
adapted from the W&P Design Blog.
- 1/2 avocado, flesh scooped
- 3 shots (90ml) tequila
- 2 shots (60ml) triple sec
- 1 1/2 shots (45ml) lime juice
- pinch of salt, plus extra to sprinkle
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- coriander sprigs, for garnish
- lime slices, for garnish
- 1 cup ice cubes, plus extra for serving
- Place avocado, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, salt, chopped coriander leaves and a cup of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well until avocado is completely blended and creamy.
- Fill two 300ml highball tumblers with ice cubes. Strain the cocktail over the ice in the two glasses. Sprinkle with a dash of additional salt. Garnish with coriander sprigs and lime slice. Enjoy straight away.