I call this a Happy Smoothie because that is exactly what it does! Makes you happy! With the goodness of bananas, cacao, almond and cinnamon, this delicious Chocolate Banana Smoothie improves the mood and makes you feel energized. It only takes 5-minutes to make, is super healthy and tastes like dessert in a jar!
💛 Why you'll love my Chocolate Banana Smoothie?
- It is the perfect solution to sad, overripe bananas when you don't have time to bake banana bread.
- It is a healthy, make-ahead breakfast on the go that literally tastes like a decadent chocolate dessert!
- So easy, even the kids can make it!
- As the name suggests, this smoothie makes you happy! Really! Banana and almond increase the production of serotonin while cacao triggers the release of endorphins. A glass of this delicious chocolate banana smoothie releases all the happy hormones to boost your mood and energy.
- This banana smoothie is very high in potassium and antioxidants and perfect for after-school snacks and for recharging after-sport sessions.
🍌 How To Pick Overripe Banana For Smoothies
Make sure your bananas are perfectly ripe. You want them to be just overripe but not too much. These are the ones that you wouldn't eat but are perfect for smoothies, desserts and baking banana cake and bread. Here is how to pick the best overripe bananas for smoothies,
- A banana with thin skin (peel) that is closely molded to the fruit.
- A banana that is still firm and has a sweet ripe smell.
- A banana with many dark spots and lots of bright yellow still visible.
Bananas - Pick only slightly overripe bananas for this recipe.
Soy milk - It is very close in consistency to regular dairy milk. It makes the banana smoothie super creamy and luscious. If you must substitute, try oat or cashew milk as they are both thick and creamy. Almond milk is a great backup to use in this smoothie recipe.
Cacao - Cacao powder is unsweetened and the raw version of cocoa. It is minimally processed and very high in magnesium, iron and antioxidants. You can substitute with cocoa powder or grated dark chocolate.
Almond butter - This can be substituted with peanut or cashew butter.
Maca powder - Maca powder is made from the root of the maca plant. It is a highly nutritious energy supplement that was used for its medicinal properties by the Incas in ancient Peru. It is an adaptogenic product that helps the body regulate stress (hence it's use in this mood-enhancing happy smoothie). It is a light corn/yellow coloured powder that has a sweet smell and a caramel taste. If you can't find it, just leave it out.
Cinnamon and Vanilla - Both add a wonderfully decadent taste to this healthy banana smoothie.
Add all ingredients for this smoothie to the jug of a blender and process for 2-3 minutes until creamy and smooth.
Pack away the smoothie in lidded glass jars. Make sure you fill the jar all the way to the top so that there isn't much gap (air) between the smoothie and the lid. This keeps the smoothie fresh in the fridge for up to three days.
🧑🍳 Recipe FAQs
It is best not to freeze any smoothie. This Smoothie can be made and enjoyed fresh from the blender.
If made with non-dairy milk (like soy or nut milk), this chocolate banana smoothie will last in the fridge for up to three days if stored in lidded glass containers.
❤️ More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
Happy Smoothie (Chocolate Banana Smoothie)Print Recipe Rate / Comment
- 4 bananas, medium, overripe and peeled
- 2 cups (500 ml) soy milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons maca powder, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients for the smoothie in the jug of a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour in 2 X 325 ml lidded glass jars. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
- Scale - Recipe can be easily doubled to make more serves.
- Maca powder - This is optional. When added, not only is it very nutritious but also gives the smoothie a slight caramel flavour.
- Almond butter - can be substituted with peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Soy milk - I use organic, unsweetened soy milk (Pureharvest brand). You can substitute it with your favourite nut milk. Cashew or oat milk is the closest in consistency to soy milk.
I read your newsletter just before picking up my daughter from her first day back at school and looked at the smoothie recipe. I made a single serve and it was waiting for her in the car, she happily slurped it down. Thanks for sharing your recipes.